The history of the Broken Arrow Public Library can be traced to a group of 17 young women, who in 1906 organized the Self Culture Club. This group stared out as a literary club and almost immediately became active in civic affairs. The club soon realized the need for a public library. The members organized a Tea, and interested individuals were asked to donate one or more books for the librarys collection. This resulted in over 150 volumes being donated. After the classifying of the books by the library committee, the library was opened to the public a few hours each week. Club members served as librarian a week at-a time.