History: Settlement of Northeast Tarrant County began in 1850 when Isaac Parker built his log cabin home in what is now southwestern Hurst. After the Civil War, more settlers moved into the area and with them came the need for schools and churches. Daniel Arwine responded to this need by deeding six acres of land for the construction of a new school, church, and cemetery. All of the original development was located in what is now Hurst's Bellaire Subdivision. In 1870, William L. Hurst moved into the area with his wife and seven children. This date is usually cited as the official establishment of Hurst. They settled approximately one mile north of the present Highway 10 (Hurst Boulevard). When the railroad came through the settlement in 1903, the local station was named Hurst's Station. Later growth in the small rural town slowed when east-west rail routes were changed and routed through Arlington rather than the Mid-Cities area. In the early 1900's, sand and gravel was excavated from the Trinity River bottoms, later in the 1920's larger excavations began. The Work Projects Administration build a brick school in the town in 1940. In 1949, Hurst had its first post office when the Souder Family added a postal station to the corner of their grocery store as a service to 1,000 residents. Incorporation Hurst incorporated as a general law city on September 25, 1952 with a total population of 2,700. During the next five years, the population increased to 5,700 and continued to grow to 31,000 by the year 1981. One of the main catalysts for this growth boom was the opening of the $3 million Bell Helicopter plant which pioneered the helicopter aviation industry in Texas. The advent of the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in 1974 contributed dramatically to the growth of Hurst and the Mid-Cities area in the years to follow. The airport has become one of the area's major industries and employers, and has helped the economy by bringing in new development and industry that relies heavily on airport services. Other important developments included the Northeast campus of Tarrant County Community College which opened in Hurst in 1968, and North East Mall which opened it's doors in 1972. Current population for Hurst is approximately 37,500, and the average household income is estimated at over $75,000. Hurst Now: Presently, Hurst operates under a charter adopted in 1956 that provides for a council-manager form of government. The mayor and six council members are elected at-large and provide collective representation to all Hurst citizens. The City Council is responsible for all matters of policy and is the authority for levying taxes, securing revenues, authorizing expenditures of city funds, and incurring city debts. The City Manager is directly responsible to the City Council, and the city's seven department heads report to him. In addition, eleven Boards and Commissions were created to assist the City Council in deciding matters of policy and procedure. The members of these Boards and Commissions are appointed by the City Council and meet on various issues throughout the year. For more information about the activities of the Hurst City Council or Boards and Commissions, please contact the City Secretary's Office at (817) 788-7042.